WarGames (8/11) Movie CLIP – It’s a Bluff (1983) HD
BUY THE MOVIE:
Don’t miss the HOTTEST NEW TRAILERS:
Claiming that the oncoming enemy attack is nothing more than a simulation, Falken (John Wood) reasons with General Beringer (Barry Corbin) to call off the counter strike.
Once more, a wise-guy teenager tries to prove he’s smarter than any adult-and nearly destroys the whole world in the process-in Wargames. Computer-game aficionado Matthew Broderick inadverently taps into a hush-hush Pentagon computer, then proceeds to inaugurate his favorite game, “Global Thermonuclear War”. What we know, but Broderick doesn’t, is that the Pentagon, hoping to eliminate the chancy “human element” in the event of an actual war, has given its computer total, irreversable control over the launching of nuclear weaponry. Broderick and government official Dabney Coleman race against time to reverse the computer’s resolve to send bombers to Russia. Wargames scored a hit, especially with teenage filmgoers.
TM & © MGM (1983)
Cast: Matthew Broderick, Dabney Coleman, Barry Corbin, John Wood, Ally Sheedy
Director: John Badham
Producers: Richard Hashimoto, Harold Schneider, Bruce McNall, Leonard Goldberg
Screenwriters: Lawrence Lasker, Walter F. Parkes, Walon Green
WHO ARE WE?
The MOVIECLIPS channel is the largest collection of licensed movie clips on the web. Here you will find unforgettable moments, scenes and lines from all your favorite films. Made by movie fans, for movie fans.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MOVIE CHANNELS:
Indie & Film Festivals:
HIT US UP:
General Berringer was the right man in his position…, but it's only fiction…
They didn’t ask any US forces in Europe if they saw any missiles flying through the air? I’ve seen the movie a bunch of times but this is one thing I always think question.
"Look, I don't have time for a CONVERSATION right now!" Greatest line ever.
1:54 That was a long 10 seconds!
12:45:00 AM (yep!)
Hypothetical scenario: You run a small Western nuclear power. Your generals inform you that the Soviet Union has launched a first strike against your nation. The missiles are away, there is no stopping them. In a 15 minutes, your country will be obliterated, the few survivors left to struggle in a barren wasteland. You spent years warning that any attack would be met with a final retaliation of mutually assured destruction. Now the fay has come. Do you give the order to launch all that you have at the USSR? To wipe out millions of civilians because you said you would- a thing you said to deter an event that has now come anyway? It will not save your people. It will only add more skulls to the pile. Can you do it?
He got him with the line "General, you are listening to a machine"
yeah i am sure american general would listen a smarmy english civilian saying "dude dont do it, man, because, like, surely a totalitarian country, that has a history of killing millions for no reason, wouldnt do it, and stuff."
Barry Corbin is a legend.
Top 10 pranks gone to far
whose watchin we ARE in END GAME now 2020 corona end
Attention Boppers, is the hot black girl on the p.a. system the same girl as the DJ in the Warriors movie?…….
There is so much truth hidden in this film.
after all these years it hasn't aged a single bit. kudos to all the people involved: actors, screenwriters and all!
"John, good to see you! I see the wife still picks your ties."
And recall earlier in the movie, where McKittrick said to Lightman that Falken didn't understand the practical uses of his work?
This scene pretty much proves that Falken understood it better than McKittrick, especially when he tells General Beringer that he's "listening to a machine."
Technologists must acknowledge that the technology can fail as well as when it can work.
It also calls to mind an episode of Star Trek, from Spock of all people, from the episode "The Ultimate Computer."
"Computers make excellent and efficient servants. But I have no wish to serve under them."
And that's, perhaps, that's the biggest flaw in McKittrick's evaluation of the WOPR's worth: he has placed it above that of the people who use it.
Daggonnit why didn't you record 2mins more ? – 1 of the funniest scenes – Luv it when Barringer said "Got Dammed Id PISS on a sparkplug if i thought it'd do any good" ROTFLMAOff -FYInfo evolution iz nonsence – devil's big lie – life did NOT make itself -go to 57mins – @ – value your eternal existence + listen with an investigative mind – @ – God Yahuah go with you forever – @t
Elon musk? Why do your ars crash? …i AVE THE PHOTO! JUST BEFORE SEEING THESE!
Wow how can he not see that
It's always been interesting to me that the Air Force officer announcing the count down couldn't pronounce impact correctly by enuceating the T at the end of the word.
This movie had a huge impact the time it released in the early 80,s because of the fear of a nuclear war. Millennial's look at this and laugh but seeing this in the theaters scared the hell out of a lot of people.
Movies always change the facts. November 1982 only there was no Presidential authority required as 2 ICBMs being tracked within ours of the AI being placed in control. Once Nuclear weapons have been launched at US Authority transferred to the military. 3.5 hour's Lockheed Martin Blackbird A10 Fairford UK to Cheyenne Mountain.
They awfully calm, given it be an extinction level event…
I am sorry to say this but can you imagine what David's reasoning for missing school will be when he returns, the teacher asks him for a excuse his response probably would've been. "I nearly started WW 3."
This actually happened in real life about the time this movie was made…in reverse. The Soviets thought we were prepping for war. Their systems detected a limited nuke launch by us…their missle jockey thought "they wouldn't just launch three or four missiles" so he broke from protocol and didn't launch. Turns out that they were just a few weather balloons
I was there it was only two ICBMs and WOPA is an AI programme. I got to fly from UK to USA in 3 hour's Lockheed Martin A12 Blackbird because I played games via a modem.
Accurate uniforms….nicely done. 'Course, I wore one myself. Seeing that A1C brought back memories (I think her hair's in regs, as well.)
Didn't this same actor talk about "bluffing" in Jumping Jack Flash?
I was 14 when this came out in theaters. I'm 51 and I still think it packs a punch. I showed the movie to my 14 year old stepson a few years ago, and he was riveted by it (he is into the history of the microcomputer revolution). I asked him whether the old tech depicted in it got in the way of his enjoyment, and he immediately defended the movie, saying, "No, it's a classic!"
The girl counting down has the sexiest voice in cinema history.
You're listening to a machine……… Do the world a favor and don't act like one. (darn good advice)
Very dated but still highly enjoyabel
is it me or was General Beringer in red alert counterstrike and red alert 2?
Falken: "It's a bluff, John. Call it off."
McKittrick: "No, it's not. It's real."
Falken: (I'm wasting my time talking to you.)
The General turned out to be the good guy in the film.
1:24 SO THAT is the person with the ROBOT voice!
Ive watched so many movies and I never knew it was her!
Google the story of Stanislav Petrov in 1983 and you'll see how this all nearly happened in 1983 for real. Petrov saved the world.
The key argument he confined Barringer was the notion that he is listening to a machine.
"Mr. McKittrick…after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks." – General Beringer
Wargame (2)020: Theatrewide Biotoxin and Chemical Warfare?
I can only imagine John Lennon playing Steven Falcon!
The best part about this movie is you think they stopped it and then the computer steps in.
You picked a hell of a day for a visit lol
Even if NORAD was fully automated with a computer system that controlled radar and silos, there would be ways to verify a launch. NATO members had their own radar and satellite defenses separate from NORAD and would have been sending warnings the moment inbounds were detected. That is the only thing I hate about movies like this is it treats the USA as being in a vacuum.
Also, if you think about it, JOSHUA is Skynet.
Did anyone possibly consider calling NASA? The TDRS satellites which provided tracking data on the Space Shuttles should have been able to pick up those inbound Soviet missiles had they really existed. If the TDRS satellites didn't pick them up, you'd know they likely didn't exist.
1. "Repent" Matt. 4:17; Rev. 2:5
2. "Come unto Me" Matt. 11:28
3. "Seek first God and His righteousness" Matt. 6:33
4. "Forgive if ye have ought against any" Mark 11:25
5. "Deny Yourself" Matt. 16:24
6. "Ask…seek…knock" Matt. 7:7
7. "Strive to enter in at the strait gate" Luke 13:24
1. "Believe the Gospel" Mark. 1:15
2. "Ye believe in God, believe also in Me" John 14:1
3. "Believe on Him who He (God) hath sent" John 6:28-29
4. "Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me" John 14:11
5. "Believe the works…I do" John 10:37-38
6. "While ye have light believe in the light" John 12:36
7. "Believe that ye receive" Mark 11:24
III. THE NEW BIRTH
1. "Ye must be born again" John 3:7
2. "Cleanse first that which is within" Matt. 23:26
3. "Make the tree good, and his fruit good" Matt. 12:33
4. "Abide in Me and I in you" John 15:4
5. "Have salt in yourselves" Mark 9:50
6. "Labor…for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life" John 6:27
7. "Rejoice, because your names are written in heaven" Luke 10:20
IV. RECEIVING THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. "Receive ye the Holy Ghost" John 20:23
2. "Let the children first be filled" Mark 7:27
3. "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me and drink" John 7:37-39
4. "Keep my commandments and…the Father…shall give you another Comforter" John 14:15-17
5. "Ask…with importunity" John 16:24; Luke11:5-13
6. "Tarry…until ye be endued with power from on high" Luke 24:49
7. "When the Comforter is come…He shall testify of Me: and ye also shall bear witness" John 15:26-27
V. FOLLOWING JESUS
1. "Follow Me" John 12:26
2. "Be baptized" Matt. 3:13-15; Matt. 28:19
3. "Take this…(communion) in remembrance of Me" Luke 22:17-19
4. "Ye also ought to wash one another’s feet" John 13:14-15
5. "If any man will come after Me…let him take up his cross daily" Luke 9:23
6. "Learn of Me" Matt. 11:29
7. "Continue ye in My love" John 15:9
1. "Pray always" Luke 21:36
2. "Pray that ye enter not into temptation" Luke 22:40, 46
3. "Pray…the Lord of the harvest, that He would send forth labourers" Luke 10:2
4. "Pray for them which despitefully use you" Luke 6:28
5. "Pray to the Father…in my name" Matt. 6:6; John16:24,26
6. "After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father, which art in heaven…" Matt. 6:9-13
7. "When ye pray, use not vain repetitions" Matt. 6:7-8
1. "Have faith in God" Mark 11:22
2. "Be not faithless" John 20:27
3. "Neither be ye of doubtful mind" Luke 12:29
4. "Take no thought for your life" Matt. 6:25-34
5. "Let not your heart be troubled" John 14:1,27
6. "Be of good cheer" Matt. 14:27
7. "Be not afraid" Mark 5:36: Luke 12:4-7
VIII. SEARCHING THE SCRIPTURES
1. "Search the scriptures" John 5:39
2. "Remember the word that I said" John 15:20
3. "Let these sayings sink down into your ears" Luke 9:44
4. "Take heed therefore how ye hear" Luke 8:18
5. "Take heed what ye hear" Mark 4:24
6. "Beware of the leaven (doctrine) of the Pharisees" Matt.16:6, 12
7. "Beware of false prophets" Matt. 7:15-17
IX. LETTING YOUR LIGHT SHINE
1. "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works" Matt. 5:16
2. "Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness" Luke 11:35
3. "Go and bring forth fruit, and …bear much fruit" John 15:16, 8
4. "Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father" Luke 6:36
5. "Tell…how great things the Lord hath done for thee" Mark 5:19
6. "Lift up you eyes, and look on the fields" John 4:35
7. "Walk while you have the light" John 12:35
X. THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST
1. "Hold fast till I come" Rev. 2:25; Rev. 3:2-3
2. "Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh" Luke 12:40
3. "Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning; and ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their Lord" Luke 12:35-36
4. "Take heed…lest…your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life" Luke 21:34
5. "Remember Lot’s wife" Luke 17:31-32
6. "Take heed that ye be not deceived" Luke 21:8; Mark 13:5-6
7. "Watch" Mark 13:34-37
XI. SUPREME LOVE TO GOD
1. "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart…soul…mind…strength" Mark 12:30
2. "God, and Him only shalt thou serve" Matt. 4:10
3. "Worship the Father in spirit and in truth" John 4:23-24
4. "Call no man your father upon the Earth" Matt. 23:9
5. "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God" Matt. 4:7
6. "Fear Him (God) which…hath power to cast into hell" Luke 12:5
7. "All men should honor the Son" John 5:22-23
XII. OUR DUTY TO GOD AND MAN
1. "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s" Mark 12:17
2. "Swear not at all" Matt.5:34-37; Mark 4:22
3. "What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder" Matt. 19:5-6
4. "Agree with thine adversary quickly" Matt. 5:25
5. "We saw one casting out devils in thy name…Forbid him not" Mark 9:38-40
6. "Eat such things as are set before you" Luke 10:8
7. "Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost" John 6:12
XIII. OUR DUTY TO OUR NEIGHBOR
1. "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" Matt.19:17-19
2. "Thou shalt do no murder" Matt. 19:18
3. "Thou shalt not commit adultery" Matt. 19:18
4. "Thou shalt not steal" Matt. 19:18
5. "Thou shalt not bear false witness" Matt. 19:18
6. "Honor thy father and thy mother" Matt. 19:19
7. "As ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise" Luke 6:31
1. "Take heed and beware of covetousness" Luke 12:15
2. "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth… but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven" Matt. 6:19-20
3. "Ye pay tithe…and not leave (them) undone" Matt.23:23
4. "Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away" Matt. 5:42
5. "Give alms of such things as ye have" Luke 11:41
6. "When thou makest a dinner..call not thy friends, nor thy brethren…but….call the poor" Luke 14:12-13
7. "Make yourselves friends of the mammon…" Luke 16:9
1. "Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy" Luke 12:1
2. "Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes" Luke 20:46-47
3. "Do not ye after their works" Matt. 23:2-3
4. "Make not My Father’s house an house of merchandise" John 2:16
5. "Do not your alms before men, to be seen of them" Matt.6:1-4
6. "When thou prayest thou shalt not be as the hypocrites… to be seen of men…enter into thy closet and pray..in secret" Matt. 6:5-6
7. "When thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; that thou appear not unto men to fast" Matt. 6:16-18
1. "Take my yoke upon you…for I am meek and lowly in heart" Matt. 11:29
2. "The princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them… but it shall not be so among you" Matt. 20:25-26
3. "Whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all" Mark 10:43-44
4. "Be not ye called Rabbi" Matt. 23:8
5. "Sit not down in the highest room" Luke 14:8-11
6. "Rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you" Luke 10:20
7. "Say, we are unprofitable servants" Luke 17:10
XVII. OUR LOVE TO THE BRETHREN
1. "Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:12
2. "Despise not one of these little ones" Matt. 18:10-14
3. "Have peace one with another … and be reconciled to thy brother" Mark 9:50; Matt. 5:23-24
4. "If thy brother…trespass against thee go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone" Matt. 18:15-17
5. "If thy brother trespass against thee seven times a day… thou shalt forgive him" Luke 17:3-4; Matt. 18:21-22
6. "Judge not according to appearance… first cast the beam out of thine own eye" John 7:24; Matt. 7:1-5
7. "Condemn not" Luke 6:37
XVIII. PERFECT LOVE
1. "Be ye therefore perfect" Matt. 5:48
2. "Sell that ye have and give alms" Matt. 19:21; Luke 12:32-33
3. "Love your enemies" Matt. 5:44; Matt. 26:52
4. "Do good to them which hate you" Luke 6:27-28
5. "Lend, hoping for nothing again" Luke 6:35
6. "Resist not evil" Matt. 5:39-41
7. "In your patience posses ye your souls" Luke 21:19
XIX. FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH
1. "Be thou faithful unto death" Rev. 2:10
2. "Hold that fast which thou hast" Rev. 3:11
3. "When men shall revile you, and persecute you,…rejoice, and be exceeding glad" Matt. 5:11-12; Luke 6:23
4. "When they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another" Matt. 10:23
5. "When they deliver you up, take no thought how or what you shall speak" Matt. 10:19
6. "Murmur not among yourselves" John 6:41-43
7. "Look up and lift up your hands" Luke 21:28
XX. PREACHING THE GOSPEL
1. "Preach the gospel to every creature" Mark. 16:15; Matt.10:7
2. "Repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His (Christ’s) name" Luke 24:46-47
3. "Baptize disciples, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and the Holy Ghost" Matt. 28:19
4. "Teach them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded" Matt. 28:20
5. "What I tell you … that speak" Matt. 10:27; Mark 4:22
6. "Feed my sheep" John 21:15-17
7. "Heal the sick" Matt. 10:8
1. "Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves" Matt. 10:16
2. "Beware of men" Matt. 10:17
3. "Let (the blind leaders) alone" Matt. 15:12-14
4. "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine" Matt. 7:6
5. "Consider the lilies… how they grow" Matt. 6:28
6. "Whatsoever city … ye shall enter, inquire who is worthy; and there abide … Go not from house to house" Matt. 10:11-13; Luke 10:5-7
7. "Whosoever will not receive you … shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them" Luke 9:5; Luke 10:10-11
"IF A MAN LOVE ME, HE WILL KEEP MY WORDS." John 14:2